PDA

View Full Version : Scott's First Aquaponics System

scotteboy
06-16-2011, 03:23 PM
This is the start of my first system. All the other parts are on order (Water Basins- 60 gal and 120 gallon- from Laguna). The growbed will be filled with expanded clay.
This is the frame for my patio setup to be displayed at a local hydroponics store. The outside will be covered in rough-cedar boards. The bench out front will have a sanded slat-cedar lid on hinges for feeding the fish that will be in the tank underneath.

keith_r
06-16-2011, 04:33 PM
looks solid..
read up on fishless cycling.. interesting stuff, and easier than killing your first batch of fish

i see lots of questions about adding "stuff that has the right looking label"... personally, i'd avoid adding anything to the system that isn't "organic" - the only additive i've used is maxicrop with iron.. i have some crushed eggshells, and crushed clam shells in part of a growbed..
read lots is what i guess i'm sayin.. have fun, and keep us updated!

bcotton
06-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I've thought about asking the local hydo store if they would let me setup a demo for aquaponics to help spread the idea and seed interest. I am anxious to see the finished result.

brian

rfeiller
06-17-2011, 07:43 AM
good idea, the stores in my area know of aquaponics, but don't have displays.

scotteboy
06-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Farm & Feed Stores, Garden Centers, Pond Supply and Hydroponic Stores are venues where people who are interested in this technology would be stopping.

I'm having a 2x3 foot billboard put up to show the nitrogen cycle and an intro to aquaponics.