HOME |  AQUAPONICS |  FISH |  VEGGIES |  BACKYARD SYSTEMS  |  COMMERCIAL SYSTEMS  |  AQUAPONICS MAGAZINE |  CONTACT US

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Feeder Guppies
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 am 

I checked on my feeder Guppies when I got in yesterday ... I guess the Eheim auto-feeder quit working as soon as I left, because instead of having 300 or 400 Guppies, I only have 3 left ...... but the tank doesn't have any corpses in it, so I guess the 3 cannibals that are left had a good meal for the past 5 weeks :!: I'm going to have to get some more males, because two of them are for sure females, and the other one doesn't look too good, especially if it's a male!

I had used the feeder last fall when I went to Oregon, but this time it plugged up (probably from the moisture coming from the tank), so I'm not too impressed with the design of the Eheim. Fortunately, I had sold all my Tilapia prior to leaving for Tennessee, so I only lost the Guppies ..... but if I have more tilapia shipped now, I can't depend on the feeder to keep them alive when I take off for 2 more weeks in Sept. to go to Oregon again :!: I guess I will have to wait until after I get back to decide, and then there will the winter to contend with here .... my Mossies survived last year during the winter, but I think this winter is going to be colder and longer, and I went through 4 heaters last winter ..... the Canada Geese are already flying South to warmer climes .... I saw two flights yesterday in Billings, and heard a few more during the day whilst doing our monthly shopping there ...... I probably won't be able to get in more Tilapia until next Summer at the rate things are going :( :(

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Post subject: Re: Feeder Guppies
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:49 pm 

i was thinking of setting up an herb garden before i go larger scale with out help. i was thinking of using a 20 gallon tank and a 36"Lx6"Dx12"W grow bed. how many feeder guppies i should use because a pound of them has to be like 50 or so so would i put in 150-200?

Post subject: Re: Feeder Guppies
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:53 pm 

oh and about the geese yeah if your using them as a gauge then we are screwed because my dad and his freind have gone out twice already and gotten like 8 between them and they normally dont even see 8 geese where they go.