Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Japans Nuclear Situation - check this out.

Yes and on a lighter note....I'm now absolutely certain that Japan's nuclear program is what created Godzilla..! I saw on TV where we killed her and her kids in downtown NY, but now I just know they are out to create another one, seriously.

One another note, you would think they had enough radiation during WWII to last a thousand years and here they go, trying to infect the entire planet.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

.^..^.
    |~.~|
    .\"""/
    ..."".. I use the f ree windows 7 operating system.... Free as in removewat23
    ????????............................().()~*
    .......................................{-.-},\8 ??????? ???? ????
    .......................................\[][]689

Enjoy the media frenzy. They are reporting BS. Give it a week. The NEI website has a totally different picture.

No breach of the fuel pool, no ejected fuel. No Mothra raiding the countyside...
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

NEI! LOLXOPERADONS are spawning all over your posts man.... NEI PROMOTES nuclear power. Should be Nuclear Sales Institute. Did anyone report Semi Valley, Chernobyl, or Three Mile Island correctly? No... We found out years after...

BAAAAAAd Fish is sheeple maybe....

.^..^.
    |~.~|
    .\"""/

Members

Wait... Without a salt reaction or meltdown how do you get a hydrogen explosion in a BWR?
    .^..^.
    |~.~|
    .\"""/

As I said previously, when zirconium, the cladding around the fuel, reaches 2200F it will start stripping oxygen from the steam. This also happened at TMI. This is far below the melting point of fuel which is around 5000F. The core boils off most of the water and that allows the temperature to increase and the zirc-water reaction to start and release hydrogen.

The AMA promotes medicine. Does that automatically make them liars? Why do you impugn NEI's integrity? Just because you are against nuclear power means that anyone that differs with your view is evil? Take a deep breath and calm down. They are the best and most accurate source of information. The crap you are getting from the news media is only meant to scare you and sell advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by jcx
    Wait... Without a salt reaction or meltdown how do you get a hydrogen explosion in a BWR?

Re: CNN At Indian Point

CNN dropped by my plant the other day. Why the brass let them in I'll never know, but they made a pretty positive spot:
    http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestof ... .point.cnn

Members

The MOx reactor pooped.

[youtube:1ee7itk6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVugAWE8es[/youtube:1ee7itk6]
    .^..^.
    |~.~|
    .\"""/

If the News Media is fullabull, why did the director of the Power Plant come on the camera, crying, and say that the big official story was lies and he was apologizing to all the people that are going to die from the radiation? Why is the head of Tokyo Power out of the country for the past two weeks, and supposedly no one knows his whereabouts?

Why this:
    Quote Originally Posted by RTTNews
    Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan has said his government is in a state of maximum alert over high-level radiation leaked from the quake-wrecked nuclear power plant in the country’s northeast.

Speaking at the House of Councilors Budget Committee on Tuesday, Kan said the situation at the plant “continues to be unpredictable” and that the government “will tackle the problem while in a state of maximum alert.”

He gave the assurance to the parliamentary committee after traces of radioactive water as well as highly toxic plutonium were detected outside the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

I have mixed feelings about nuclear power. On the surface, it's a fairly clean way to make electricity. No CO2 emissions. And despite a few very notable exceptions, including the current crisis in Japan, it's pretty safe too. The problem for me is how to deal with the waste on a long term basis. Haven't seen any acceptable plan for that yet, despite lots of smart people working on the problem for a very long time. The Yucca Mountain waste site is over and done with, leaving us with no permanent place to put the stuff. Right now, it's all stored on-site at all the various facilities around the country until a permanent solution can be found.

It bugs me that 500 years or 1000 years from now folks may still be having to deal with nuclear waste generated by us today. Here in Washington State, we've had leakage of waste from the Hanford Reservation going directly into local aquifers, which will reach the Columbia River in a few more years. We were told this would never be possible, yet it happened anyway. The best engineering in the world is no match for human complacency over time. There were various accidental air releases too, along with the usual government coverups, and a mess of ongoing lawsuits by a few thousand downwind families with increased rates of cancer.

The Hanford site is considered the world's largest environmental cleanup project, costing taxpayers an average of $2 billion a year since 1988, and employing 11,000 workers. They hope to be finished with the cleanup by 2040 or so. 53 million gallons of high-level liquid radioactive waste was stored in 177 supposedly leak-proof tanks. About a third of those tanks leaked anyway, despite all the expensive engineering, and now it's estimated that there's about 270 billion gallons of contaminated groundwater as a result. Aside from the liquid waste, the site also holds 25 million cubic feet of solid radioactive waste, including plutonium (half-life 24,100 years,) that needs to be dealt with as well. Sad to say, but Hanford has set a pretty poor example of how large scale nuclear waste has been handled in this country so far. Needless to say, nuclear power isn't very popular in this state any more. Maybe we should hold off on any new reactors in this country until we've solved the ongoing waste problem.

Gary