Thread: Turtles

Members

Turtles

Can turtles be apart of an aquaponics system?

Thanks for your input

Jonathan

Re: Turtles

Absolutely. If they produce waste, you can use them. The big issue with turtles is that most eat anything in the tank with them. so they need to be separated from the other livestock.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

THANKS

I am getting ready to set up my system in a green house. I am trying not to overthink the process. Ive seen some setups that left me scratching my head. Im still trying to decide on tubs or tubes.
    Another question came to mind.I am in Georgia, for the most part we have mild winters. no snow etc.. I have a solar water heater to help with temp control in my stock fish tank. My question is:

during the winter say for lettuce, is it more important for temp control on the roots of the plants or overall temp of the greenhouse?

thanks jb

Members

Roots by far. If you keep your root zone temps optimal, you will still get growth with suboptimal ambient temps.

Members

Where in georgia are ya ? Im down here on the florida line.

Members

I am in north GA between Canton and Jasper GA

Hi Jonathan...welcome !

You've got my curiosity up....what kind were you thinking of raising ? Are you hoping to get them to breed ? and...are they just for the 'pooh' factor or are you eating them too ?

Looking forward to seeing some pictures soon .
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

I have three turtles, 2 of them I have had for 6-7 years. I have two red ears and on eastern painted turtle. I have brim and creek minnows with them. It is the brim and creek minnows I am planning on using for the aquaponics system. I have koi and goldfish in some other ponds.
    The turtles are pets but I may be open in the future to get more turtles. Never thought about eating them however do have friends that do.
    I am going to add catfish to the mix. When I get used to my system I may add the talapia etc..in another tank.
    I am planning several gardens at once. raised beds,aquaponics,square foot garden and am adding solar power to the system,rain barrel set up also. I failed at the hydroponics because of chemicals or fertalizers so i am hoping the aquaponics system is more stable. Im sure Ill have many more questions.

jb

Members

HELLO,

I am wondering if there is anyone from the north Georgia area on here.

Thanks jb