Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

International AP and Tilapia Aquaculture Course

OK, who's up for it..? Want to learn alot in a short period of time? Here's the place to do it.

International Aquaponics and Tilapia Aquaculture Course, June 14-20, 2009, University of the Virgin Islands, St. Croix, USVI

Here's the link for the site with the info:

http://www.uvi.edu/sites/uvi/Pages/AES- ... .aspx?s=RE

and here's the link for the registration application:

http://www.uvi.edu/sites/uvi/Documents/ ... on2009.pdf

If I can figure out how to come up with an extra $3k or so, I'll be heading that way myself.

Wouldn't it be terrific to have a passel of the members of the DIY forum attending at the same time....

We would really have something to bring back to talk to the world about then in addition to photo and videos. Who's up for it?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Re: International AP and Tilapia Aquaculture Course

Not me, too much do-re-me ...... but I know they had the same people put one of those on in Australia, and the people on the forum were ecstatic about the amount of info and interaction with the UVI people at the conference. Sounds like a good deal if you can possibly attend, which I'd love to do ..... .
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

I think we need to do one of these. Between all of us we have plenty of info to share. I'm sure we could have a hell of a time too....
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

I agree with you whole heartedly with Badflash. I wanted to do that 2 years ago, but couldn't get a sufficient amount of support (Codi's wife said she didn't want strangers trapsing all over her property) so it never got off the ground.

It's true that between those now active on the forum and maybe a few others we could attract, we would have a sufficient amount of knowledge to put on a great and informative show. However, who now has a large enough and modern enough operation to attract people to it sufficiently to be able to get them to pay even 1/2 or 1/3 of what UVI charges to come see ours?

I personally have nothing against any of the other countries that are trying to make the world aware of Aquaponics, however I am a little fed up with the fact that America seems to be sucking hind tit on this issue and quite apparently isn't one of the main ones.

I realize that the USVI belong to America, but nothing personal, you can't drive there from here and that makes it all the more reason that we get it going on the mainland so we don't have to fly anywhere to get the knowledge and experience that should be available to us here.

So, what say we start working toward something like this?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

I just sent an invite to one of the pioneers of aquaponics, Travis W. Hughey. He invented barrelponics and holds workshops at his home is South Carolina. Might be a place to check into. He seems like a truly decent guy. I hope he has time to pay us a visit.

Here is a link:
    http://www.fastonline.org/content/view/94/2/

There are also some great manuals for the downloading.

Members

Re: International AP and Tilapia Aquaculture Cours

Hi BadFlash,

Travis had a workshop weekend at his place last year.

IronFish

Members

Good thread.

Travis W. Hughey is a good man from what I have read about him and his programs. I have the PDF for the barrelponics, that was a part of the influence that guided my interest into aquaponics. I wish I had the money to travel but things not good here in GM land.

I agree with JCO the USA needs to get active with some of these things that work. I know for one thing I am not waiting around for interest anymore I find those people that are already thinking the same thing and hang out with them as much as possible. At a Farmers Market meeting we decided to go ahead and let the local politicians take credit for anything we create and get going as long as we can reach our goals we seek. It is the support we need to get our idea's in motion so we smile and pluck along each summer volunteering and hanging on.

Even with my small idea's around town I have got people to take notice from the Major to church to the farmers markets shoppers and to the sidewalk trying to create interest in forward thinking projects such as hydroponics,aquaponic's,compost and just back to the basics that "all benifit from" including kids!

People want to go there but they need guides like you folks that are already there. I was told that I get frustrated because I try to spoon too much into their minds at once so I need to feed them little bites at a time.

Example: We are tying am idea to keep paper out of land fill. So we are getting some homes here in town to give us all of their shredded paper, we are using it along with hay for sheep barn to soak up wet spots and keep new lambs healthy and guess what It works! It's not my barn it is my cousins and he is tickled to take the stuff.

I support this post with high hopes and good intentions
    ""we are what we eat""

Mix that with some of the sheep manure and start growing worms! It would be a shame to waste it!

Members

I wish I could go to one of those also.... bummer.
    I am limited to the distance I can travel due to my disabilities and unfortunatly extremely limited money...sigh

If anyone ever hears of anything in Southern California, then I would be there like a fly on....?

From what I understand our new Pres has some new Gov Grants that will be available as part of his economic stimulus package... I am going thru some right now because I am in the begining stages of working on a community program...
    Right now it is just in my head and I have yet to present it to my Aquaponics group, but I think it is worthwhile enough to try at least on a smaller scale... If I can get one of those grants, I could then go to one of those conferences and garner some info I may be lacking to help my project. I will discuss it in another forum heading.

Anyway, I sure wish I could attend... If anyone does attend and wishes to share knowledge...????

Sheryl
    Take care and stay safe

Sheryl and Jake SD