Members

New member with questions

Hello all!

I'm a college student living with my family in Petaluma, California, USA. I'm trying to cajole my family into setting up an aquaponics system. I'm taking the lead in figuring out what all we need to do, so I thought I'd post on some aquaponics forums to try and get started. We're thinking of doing something outside, and are trying to make it as inexpensive as possible without being dangerously cheap. If anyone has the time, I've a few questions I'd like to hear input on:

• Before setting an aquaponics system up, are there any safety concerns or extremely common mistakes I should know about and avoid?
    • What are good but inexpensive materials that I could use for growth beds and water tanks outdoors? I assume that most plastics would need to be avoided for fear of UV degrading them over time.
    • I know that there are different methods for aquaponics—deep water, growth bed, running water over glass panes or sheets of plastic. Is there a way to know which is best for one's unique situation, or do you just go with whatever sounds best?

the thicker stuff from homedepot/ lowes is fine to last for years as far as plastic goes -----as for diferent growing methods it depends on what veggies ya wanting to grow --as some things don't grow when underwater as well as others do ( potatoes seem not to do well ) but sweet potatoes do excellently -if you have them growing in water & let their vines go all over the yard to sprout the sweet potatoes into real earth seems to do awesomely

biggest thing id suggest is ---don't overpay for some system you can build yourself & im sure your college has some form of an agriculture teacher or maybe hit the local county buildings asking for info