Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

Re: Hello From North Alabama

We live about 25 miles due south of Huntsville. You come down US Highway 231 to Arab and our 20 acre place is about 5 miles southwest. We started out raising horses with strong cutting horse lines. Congress decided the transportation of horses for human consumption was illegal. It killed the horse business. At the time, we had about 30 horses. We are finally down to five. It wreaked havoc on our finances. Now I have retired and looking forward to a very busy summer. By the way I went back and purchased the PVC pipe to build the framework of my 18 by 20 foot greenhouse. This is to be the one I convert for Aquaponic Garden. So I will start that when the weather clears. Have fun, I am off to bed

Members

I thought I had posted your answer, last night shortly before midnight. But it didn't seem to take so here we go again.

Our 20 acres horse farm is located approximately 25 miles south of Huntsville, Alabama on Highway 231 and about 5 miles southwest of Arab. My stallion's breeding free when you rule was $1250, the first year he made us $10,000.That was the one and only year we made money breeding because, about 8 years ago, Congress made it illegal to transport horses for human consumption, killing the horse market I couldn't get the breeding fee for my 2 year olds. At that time, we were breeding quality cutting horse stock. We had some 30 horses on the property. We could not give them away. Long story short, we're no longer a horse business, and we're finally gotten down to five horses. I was spending in excess of $3000 a year for hay. The good part is being retired as its perks. Now that my expenses are way down, I can afford to do some things like the garden and aquaponics, that I haven't been able to do because the finances. I think that right now I will use one of the perks and go get breakfast. Oh I forgot to tell you that yesterday, I bought all the PVC parts and pipe to frame my greenhouse. Just waiting for the rain to stop. Pictures to come, soon I hope... CYA By the way, the arrow stands for moving forward.

I drive an 18 wheeler to Sumiton, Al. twice a week. Maybe some day we could connect.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

I feel like a dummy. I posted my location several times thinking it didn't take. I missed from page two. The joke is on me, and I really hate fighting with speech to text. I couldn't remember where Sumiton was so I looked it up on gloogle maps. The name was familiar. Before I moved here are lived in Mount Olive right in your Gardendale. Hunting season I would drive up through Sumiton and Dora to hunt.

When I get a chance, will work out a time to visit, even bring my wife and then she would get a kick out of it. She used to drive the big rigs. Do you have any particular days of the week that you come down regularly on? I'm still having plenty of doctors' appointments. We can schedule around those though. Plus I am waiting for this place to dry up a little bit. I have yet been able to start a greenhouse. I have all the piping and fittings I need put my anchor PVC pipes in the ground to slide my 1 inch PVC for the walls into. Then I can put the semi-hoop roof on. My tractor is due back today so I can bushhog the area and run the finishing mower.

I have a doctor's appointments Wednesday March 25 and the following Wednesday April 1. So let me know what days you are down this way. I am having problems with this thing. Don't know how to add my avatar and to save my life cannot post a PM.

The only day you could catch me would be on a Wednesday afternoon after 1PM. I leave out from there again Wednesday nights at midnight.

Just click the PM button for who you want to send a message to and write and send. As for the avatar, you have to go to user control panel under your name in the upper right hand corner
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"