Members

Hello from Kansas USA..

I just joined today after reading much of the info here. I will be building a 20' x 11'6" Geodome greenhouse mid January and have decided to incorporate IBC's to build an Aquaponic system. I can get 7 IBC's for $500 delivered. I was thinking symmetrically spacing them around the inner perimeter of my dome. The tanks are originally 275 gal, I will be cutting a 3'x4'x8" grow bed from each and placing on top of the remaining fish tank. This system is all over the net, I find it the most affordable. I am definitely a ultra newbie to this and expect trial and lots of error. Some questions that come to mind are, what would be the fish to grow bed ratio? Could I raise several types of edible fish with 7 separate tanks, possibly shrimp or other types of seafood? How about breeding and rotating fish for consistent harvests? Grow media being as expensive and scarce as it is has steered my thinking to the raft and net pot method, I understand that filtering and aeration are necessary for this. My Wife and Stepson are Asian and we all love veggies and seafood, there is a water spinach known as kang kong that we love, I read that Tilapia love to eat it, it will more than likely get it's own grow bed. I also downloaded the PDF book this site offers, I'm sure it's full of good info. I welcome any and all advice and input. I will post pics and updates of my successes and failures to add to the archives for all to benefit from.

Thanks to all...Mark
    Equal Rights for all, Special Privilege for none. (former Louisiana Governor Mike Foster)

Re: Hello from Kansas USA..

Welcome to the addictions.
    Sounds like a good price for the IBCs.
    Not sure if you will have room for all of them in the dome but we would love to see this project being built....make sure you add plenty of pics for us addicts...
    Welcome aboard
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Thanks, The IBC's will be tight you're right. I might use 6 and make a few more grow beds and/or filtration tank. I also plan to somehow utilize the height of the dome, maybe for okra, tomatoes, or asparagus beans, possibly racks for more grow beds. I am open for any input.
    Equal Rights for all, Special Privilege for none. (former Louisiana Governor Mike Foster)

Welcome, glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

Great price on your IBS's...I paid that much for 3 of them, then had to drive almost 100 miles round trip to get them. You might think about running home made vertical towers all across the back side of your GB's.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

Hi markusdecarcus,

Quote Originally Posted by markusdecarcus
    Some questions that come to mind are, what would be the fish to grow bed ratio?
    Oliver has written an excellent guide for folks starting out.... Aquaponics 101 by Oliver. It's well worth the time to read all of them.
    This section, speaks of the ratios of media vs fish...Aquaponics 101 Part Two: System Design

He goes by gallons....and even goes into detail on different medias.
    Not as exact, but it's easier for me to remember cu feet. 1 cu ft of media, supports 1 pd of fish.

Rafts...
    1 sq ft of raft (normally 1 ft deep), supports 1 pd of fish.
    With raft systems, you must pre-filter solids from the water, before entering the raft beds. This keeps the roots cleaner.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thanks Apollo, I will check it out, The IBC's need cleaning, they had a food grade substance in them. The seller assured me that cleaning is easy, especially when they are cut. I don't mind a little work to save $$...

Welcome can't wait to see how your build turns out. Good luck