Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

So much to learn, where to start? Filter media?

Wow I have lots to. Learn. We have experience with hydroponics and actually produce about 300 heads of lettuce a month.

We want a practice aquaponic system with plans to enlarge it once we have the practice out of the way.

I have 2 150 gallon tanks I intend to use as fish tanks. I want to start with 1 but build my swirl separator and bio filter large enough to use later when I add the second. I was thinking of using 55 gallon or 35 gallon drums for the bio and swirl. What I don't know is what media I should use in the filter? I was thinking about bio balls and floor scrubber filters. I am however trying to keep this cheap. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: So much to learn, where to start? Filter media?

Welcome, Rio_Grande, glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

I used a 55 gal drum for my "Whirlpool Filter / Fry Catcher", seems to be working GREAT on my 850 gal AP system. I do have a screen and a 2 gal nylon strainer bag just before the water leaves the filter. With a slow flow your solids should settle before reaching the screen and filter bag...I have them there to catch any Frys that might enter from the FT.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

Members

Thanks, I will look it up!

Members

Back to this tanks are up and supporting 10 goldfish each. Trying to get filtration and grow beds attached. Planning a sediment filter, swirl filter and a bio filter before returning to the grow beds.

Back to your question, I used 3" of red lava cinders on the bottom of my grow beds with the top 10" expanded shell. My grow beds are also my Bio Filter, in the Whirlpool Filter I mainly use gravity with a little bit of screen at the top.

When you say "sediment filter, swirl filter" are you talking about 2 separate filters?

Are your grow beds going to be a raft system?

A cheap media in that type of setup would be pillow batting from a hobby store. It's cheaper then both bio balls and scrubber pads plus you could get enough to fill what ever size of bucket/barrel you wish to use.

Members

Yes it's two separate filters. I diddnt know I could use stuffing, just ordered 70.00 in bio balls.. Lost 3 fish this weekend. I need to get the rest of the system done.

Yeah bio balls can add up fast. I've never used pre filtration myself but I know a few of the guys here have. I'm part of the fringe that uses worms!

Members

I am not opposed to it by no means, just a lot to learn. Our system has quite a bit of alge in it. We thought the goldfish would eat it up. Cutting barrels later today.

Members

Where we are now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	4543  
    Attached Images Attached Images