Members

Planning my second system, need input

Hey guys and girls

I have managed to get my hands on an IBC tote for $50, I plan to make an ebb and flow system out of this one.

Parts: 1 IBC Tote, 1 water pump 45w 2,500 liter ph/660 gallon ph, 4 bags of hydroton (clay balls), PVC piping for outflow, water tubing for inflow, 2 plastic bottles to make the bell siphon (will add parts to this list during the build, as I have probably forgotten a few parts).

Plan: I plan to make the same old tried and true IBC system, I will be cutting the top off and flipping it upside down to be my grow bed, I hope to be able to fill the fish tank up to about 800 liters/ 210 gallons, I plan to have 8 inches of hydroton in the grow bed, and aim for about 5-6 inches as the max water height in the grow bed, I will make a bell siphon out of a 1.25 liter bottle and a 2.25 liter bottle, I plan to sit the grow bed on the fish tank so that half of the fish tanks top is still accessible, however I plan to place this entire system outside, so to protect the water from the sun I want to make a trapdoor style door for the front half. I hope to paint the outside of this system and the cage around it, haven't decided on colours yet though. I haven't decided on the fish I want to have in this one yet, but tossing up between rainbow trout, salmon or silver perch.

Questions:

Are there any obvious flaws?

Does anyone have any hints or tips?

Does anyone have any suggestions about the trapdoor? (I'm basically the "unhandy man" so I'm learning as I go with building things)

Are there any types of paints to steer clear of or paints I should look for?

Are there any precautions I can/need to take if I want to paint the outside?

What's the the easiest way to seal/set in place an upside down plastic fizzy drink bottle? (using where the lid screws on as the exit for the grow bed)

I think that covers it, Thank you for reading

Jay the Druid from Aus
    I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. -John Burroughs

Re: Planning my second system, need input

A good read about IBC AP, if you haven't already found this. Enjoy!
    http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/Tr...quaponics1.pdf

Lots of good youtube (and some bad) videos as well.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Members

thanks again ded sled

I am looking at backyard aquaponics as well, but hadn't found that, thank you very much.

I'm hoping I'll be able to brainstorm and snowball some ideas here with this thread with the DIY community.
    I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. -John Burroughs

I would suggest you go a little deeper with the grow bed and then shallower on the fish tank. Mine is indoor so lots of light is crucial. Here a couple of pics of mine today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	4495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	4496  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Thats a nice looking set up

Thanks for the advice, how deep would you recommend going with the grow bed media?

At least get it up to 12 inches. The cycle times of the fill and drain will be better controlled. One day I'm going to add other beds and a sump to keep my fish tank at a constant level. I keep about 175 gallons in the fish tank right now and if I add grow beds the water level will fluctuate to much.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?