Thread: Turtleponics

Members

Turtleponics

I finally finished building my trough system for my turtle tank. I'm thinking I'll be growing mostly leafy greens, and maybe a strawberry over the side - I have a window about 12" to the right of the tank, and a glass door about 24" to the left... maybe train it to go around the window?? My boys (7 & 4 years old) would love it if I can get them to berry!

I just tied the trough system into the existing filter. I got a great deal on a 150W MH light that I'll be installing over the tank, too - just have to wait for some help mounting it. Here are some pics:

Trough system (no pots, yet - will fill those when I get the light mounted)

Using a Fluval FX5 for filtration - these things have excellent mechanical and biological filtering capacity!
    Jason M.

Members

Re: Turtleponics

Nice, and great lesson for the kids.

Members

Hi. I'm new to aquaponics and I have a question about turtles. I had read that they can carry virus (salmonella?) that might make them unsuitable for food production. Any experienced forum users on this issue, especially with children?

I have two young ones, and a RES turtle, but system not built yet. Not sure if I will use turtle in future system yet.

Thanks.

Members

Lat 50 i have used turtles in place of fish every winter for the past 3 yrs. at the moment they are housed in a 3'x6' hydroponics grow bed with another 3'x6' grow bed with a 90gal aquarium sump. it presently has mostly Yacon' in it on a mat system.(the water from the turtle tank flows through filter mats with 1gal potted plants on top of the mat. also i start cuttings in the grow bed. do turtles carry salmonella? the figure i remember from a study was 6%, but then 96% of turkeys suposedly do. i grow mainly leafy crops in the GB not root crops.while the yacon is a root crop these are young 1-1/2' to 2-1/2' plants that will be taken off the system, because they grow over 6'tall. i probably haven't answered your question in absolutes. it is always good to be cautious. personally it doesn't cause concern for me, if i had children i probably woud not use the turtles for food plant production. my turtles by the way are 22yrs old and large yellow belly sliders one is 11" the other is 14".
    good luck with you system

Members

Guess I'll have to get some new pics up, but I've harvested some lettuce a few times without any ill health affects.
    Jason M.

I realize I'm a bit late with this post, however be sure to wash you veggies really well, turtles are high carriers of eColi. That's why they stopped selling them as pet for children.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Yep, that's the rule here. So far, nobody's been sick. I've since moved the turtle to a 300gal pond in the basement, and rescued 2 more!
    Jason M.