Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Members

Hello from Tehachapi, California

Talk about jumping in with both feet!

I purchased a geodesic dome in 2008 and it sat in the driveway until last year when I got a call from a carpenter friend that needed a place to live and upon his arrival, he proceeded to turn our place into a pile of sawdust, so to speak.

After he built our office, he did several additions, windows etc. and an award winning deck. One day he asked what the big boxes were out in the yard and from there, it started, my life will never be the same.

So, up it goes!

At about this point, of course, he starts asking questions about the tank and liner that came with the package and tells me that I should make it as big as possible and put fish in it. I thought....okay!

Now 30years ago I worked for Marine Land Life Support (Aquaria Inc.) and had lots of experience with biological filter systems. That was a long time ago and I thought it would be best to get a couple of books on the subject. The first book that the big brown truck brought was Sylvia Bernstein's Aquaponic Gardening. Needless to say, I was hooked, so to speak. The grand idea of dirt filled boxes went out the window and the digging began.

This will probably be my first, no, second mistake. First one is, I should have started smaller. Second is that the sump tank is probably too small. It is a 100gal stock tank for an estimated 1500gal system.

My plan is to have two pumps in the sump, a main 1000gph and a 800gph on a float switch for high level support.

Now I am almost ready to do some plumbing and fill the tank and I'll continue by replying to this post.

Members

Re: Hello from Tehachapi, California

Welcome PowerLink and thanks for sharing! That is one awesome structure. I am green with envy, as I longed to have a geodome myself - alas my property is rather small, and my wife had some issues with the look of the structure. Nonetheless, I wish you much success!

Some advice - include dedicated mechanical and biological filtration, and post your design for feedback before you get too far into the build. There are some very knowledgeable folks on here who will generously share what they know and may help you avoid some of the early hard lessons. I bought Sylvia's book when I first got into AP, and while it gives a basic overview, I believe that it can set you up for failure if you only rely on it's contents to proceed.

You may also want to take a look at The Biodome Garden Book...by P. Watters. It may give you some ideas for efficient layouts and maximizing your space. The author setup an AP system in a dome, and there are some nice features you might like.

Members

Thanks for the response. I am kinda making it up as i go and could probably use some help with the fluid mechanics.

Here's what I have planned:

1200gal main tank drains into 100gal sump via 2in with pickup tube at the bottom of main tank for solids.
    The sump will have two pumps, one 1000gph to run continuously and one 800gph with a float switch for high water level support.
    The pumps will go to a modified "Skippy" filter (70gal) positioned above the main tank. The lower portion of the Skippy filter (solids) will drain via 2in to the grow beds (9ea 50gal stock tanks) with bell siphons in each. This will drain back to the sump via 2in. The upper portion of the Skippy will overflow into the main tank.

I believe this to be called a "CHOP2" system with the "Skippy" added for additional biological support. As a bonus, the added elevation of the Skippy gave me the option of getting my grow beds higher off the ground (I'm 6'4").

Members

Hello Powerlink:
    I am also green with envy! What a coooool project. I also appricate the lay of the land you are working with, not flat, like mine. Please post pics through out your build and completed system. Thanks for sharing. aquaally

Members

Quote Originally Posted by aquaally
    Hello Powerlink:
    I am also green with envy! What a coooool project. I also appricate the lay of the land you are working with, not flat, like mine. Please post pics through out your build and completed system. Thanks for sharing. aquaally
    Careful about wanting land with slopes and elevation changes, we have to fight for every inch of level space and then fight some more to keep it. Erosion is a constant battle, my structures complain as well as the neighbors. That is 12tons of gravel you are looking at to get the geo-dome level.

Awesome. A dome would have been my first choice, but I already had a building.
    It's all about the fish, dude.

Members

Okay.... I am getting close to filling the system with water. The 1000gph pump I purchased appears to be a joke and that one will be used as a high sump level backup. I am going to get a 2000 with 1-1/2 outlet for the main pump.

As I described earlier, I think the little 100gal stock tank is a bit small and now would be a good time to dig through the granite and build a 4X4X5 (600gal) with a liner. Some of my reduced logic however tells me that the 100gal sump will have a high turnover but should still always be full due to the main tank draining into it.

Thoughts?

Hi PowerLink, ...love the dome...

In your 3rd picture...the stainless steel, that your ear muffs are hanging on... is that your fish tank ...?
    Oliver has written a great guide here at DIY...Aquaponics 101. Check it out, if you haven't already...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Yes, that is the main tank and I wish it was stainless, galvanized steel is much easier to work with.

Been reading everything I can as I/we would like this thing to work the first time.

Also in the third pic, you can see that's all granite we have to break through to get in a bigger sump. The decision has been made! We are going to dig a 4X4X4 foot deep hole and will build the structure one foot above grade for the new improved sump. This will give us close to 600gal of sump which hopefully will suffice.

Not sure your going to want to use that as a tank. The ph of the system will naturally lower and since the water just recirculates your going to built up more and more metals in your water. Not good for fish, plants, or you really. Just throwing it out there. Hope it helps.