Members

Ohio is getting ready.

Hi All,

I did not know where to place this info.
    My wife and I sat in on a meeting/dinner last night on The Ohio Aquaculture Plan.
    Last year, the Ohio Aquaculture Task Force was setup to develop a plan to help aquaculture expand in Ohio.
    This was the first reading of the draft, to answer questions and add input.
    The ODA (Ohio Dept. of Ag.) feels Ohio is in a very good position to move into a major player
    role of aquaculture in the US, and is ready to help.
    The draft included recommendations in :
    Aqua Business - a revolving loan program, Feasibility study for aqua. in Ohio, Develop
    enterprise budgets for aquaculture facilities in Ohio.
    Aqua Education - Promote aqua education, Finalize OSU "Triangle Plan", provide on-farm site
    consultation and training.
    Aqua Research - Continue to support funding for basic research.

This is just some the topics covered.
    I know this kind of information isn't for everyone,but for those of us how want to make a living from aquaponics, it quite heartening to see a state to move in the right direction for the little guy. It was a very interesting evening.

Ironfish

Re: Ohio is getting ready.

My sister has a farm in Zanesville and is interested in getting started. How can she get more information?
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

Members

Hi Badflash,

She can go on line and join OAA (Ohio Aquaculture Assoc.),They are a clearing housefor info.
    She is very close to OSU -South Centers Campus Pikten,Ohio. They also has a website.
    She can also contact me by email any time.
    For fish info, I think she has a brother who an help a lot!

Ironfish

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfish
    Hi Badflash,

She can go on line and join OAA (Ohio Aquaculture Assoc.),They are a clearing housefor info.
    She is very close to OSU -South Centers Campus Pikten,Ohio. They also has a website.
    She can also contact me by email any time.
    For fish info, I think she has a brother who an help a lot!

Ironfish
    The OAA's website is here Clik Ohio Aquaculture Association
    The OCARD website is here Clik Ohio Center for Aquaculture Research and Development.
    OCARD Highlights

O’GIFT is experiencing significant progress

O’GIFT (Ohio Genetic Improvement of Farmed-fish Traits) Program: Eight strains of yellow perch were obtained from eight states and stock evaluations have been completed. Two thousand genetically superior broodfish were selected as the base breeding population for the long-term selective breeding program. To date, two improved lines of perch have been produced and distributed to farmers and a research facility for initial commercial-scale tests. Current research data show that the two improved lines grow 39.8% and 18.3% faster than unimproved fish. We have completed two out of eight steps for developing technology to produce genetically male bluegill that would grow 40-50% faster than a mixed-gender population. The O’GIFT program is expected to increase aquaculture production and efficiency of perch and bluegill by 35-50% by developing genetically improved broodstocks.
    Selective breeding I can understand and agree with, but why start to genetically engineer them? ...... I wouldn't be interested!
    I wonder if they will allow Tilapia aquaculturists to join? It seems they are only interested in Yellow Perch, Bluegill, and Bass.
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Members

HI Jackalope,

There are a lot of different species being raised by OAA members. ( yellow perch, bass, crappie, blue gill, tilapia, bait fish, prawn) these are the ones I know about. I would say most of the members have ponds. The number of us using tanks and aquaponics is growing monthly.
    OCARD is part of OSU and is working with fish farmers. They are very helpful answering questions and workshops. Perch and blue gill are the main native fish people like eating in northern Ohio.
    I know the breeding program for perch has taken perch from at least 6 state and started cross-breeding. They've been working for a few years. As far I know, they've just been using genetic markers for development.

Ironfish

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfish
    HI Jackalope,

There are a lot of different species being raised by OAA members. ( yellow perch, bass, crappie, blue gill, tilapia, bait fish, prawn) these are the ones I know about. I would say most of the members have ponds. The number of us using tanks and aquaponics is growing monthly.
    OCARD is part of OSU and is working with fish farmers. They are very helpful answering questions and workshops. Perch and blue gill are the main native fish people like eating in northern Ohio.
    I know the breeding program for perch has taken perch from at least 6 state and started cross-breeding. They've been working for a few years. As far I know, they've just been using genetic markers for development.

Ironfish
    THX for clearing that up ..... I'm all for improving the strain by selective breeding! And I'm glad they are encouraging aquaculture .... I wish they'd do that here in Montana
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy