Thread: Hello from Ohio

Members

Hello from Ohio

I am planning a greenhouse aquaponics system and am still in the design (and information-gathering) stage. I have ideas about what I want to do, but the more I read (and watch on youtube) the more questions I have.

My biggest concern is whether to go with just grow beds and a tank, or whether to add a sump into the system. I'd prefer it to be the easiest build possible, including maintenance, but I also want to have a successful system without having to change things around too much later.

I am perusing the various threads here to see what I can learn, but it will be hard to remember which forum/thread I've replied in to return and find answers within those long-existing ones. I am hopeful some of you kind folks will indulge me and offer some tips/pointers/recommendations here.

Oh, does anyone see any reason why a galvanized stock tank should NOT be used as a fish tank? The one I'm eyeballing (but have not yet purchased) would really fit the dimensions of my greenhouse and aquaponic system plan (it's about 275-300 gallons).

Thanks!!
    Nancie

Re: Hello from Ohio

Easiest builds do not have a sump, but the best builds do. As far as galvanized for a fish tank, that will have zinc in it and will poison the fish.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Oh, wow, thanks Roger...had not heard that about the zinc. Do you think lining a galvanized tank with pond liner would be okay? I haven't found a tank in similar size/shape that I thought would fit in my plan that's made of other suitable material. I can keep looking, but I also have an old pool liner that I was going to cut up anyway (to line the box grow beds I want to build), so I could use that for the fish tank, too, if folks think it will work.

I figured a sump would be better; still trying to see how I would re-arrange things to all fit in the 10x12 greenhouse I'm going to put up and still have room to walk around everything in there.

There was another thread I read that said it might be safe if you coat the inside of the tank with pond paint and then use the liner. The coating of pond paint is a backup incase of any rips in the liner.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

That's absolutely correct Roger...you nailed it for safety
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

See JCO. You can teach us old dogs new tricks. I try to pay attention to the threads and relay what I have learned when I can.

Members

Thanks, again Roger! I'm trying to learn about sumps and swirl filters to see what all I can add to my little design. It's going to be a busy winter trying to get some of this stuff together!

Remember to post pictures as your build goes along. Everyone here are fascinated with pictures. You can add descriptions too, but it takes us longer on the post that way.

Members

Hello Nancie,,, goodl uck with your build, I'm currently building a 20x9 greenhouse with inground Fish tank and solar water heater,,, Plenty of pictures in my thread as I'm constructing.

Tell us your plans for your setup.
    Lot of experience on this forum that can point out things us novices dont see....
    Welcome to the addiction
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar