Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

plumbing help please.

Hey every one I have been slowly piecing a system together over the past 3 years. Slow I know but budget has always been tight. So far this is what I have 8 2ft x 3ft x 8.5 in deep growbeds / concrete mixing tubs. One 90 gal watering tank. one 8ft round 30in high inflatable intex pool. One 6ft 20 in tall inflatable intex pool. Two sin blaze 48 (4ft 8 bulb t5 ho) one 400 watt bulb and umbrella hood with adjustable ballast 200 400 and 600 watt. I also have a 3600 gph fountain pump from home Depot My problem is plumbing everything. This is a basement build with 80in ceiling. I want to build a swirl filter and bio filter as well . I have no idea what pipes and fittings I need to make this all work and I think I will need to do two pumps. What would you build with all this and how. Please help.

Members

Re: plumbing help please.

Ps I also have three bags of expanded shale and three bags of hydraton. I was thinking 4 beds flood and drain and two floating raft.
    Here is a photo of the area and some of the loot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members

Welcome Corey. I'd suggest that you do some more research - you can read about other's systems on this site - and then decide on what kind of system you want to build. As far as plumbing, my system is plumbed with 3/4" PVC as the supply and 1" PVC for drainage, but your plumbing needs will depend on your system size and setup.

You have plenty of options with the materials you have on hand, and once you decide on the type of system, then you can start small, and add as you learn. Since you don't have too much media, you may want to consider some deep water culture (DWC) tanks where you float plants in net pots filled with hydroton.

Members

Thank you for the response. I have three larger bags of expanded shale not in the photo as well. I guess more specifically I am having a very hard time finding the fittings used to go through grow tubs and tanks that are water tight like used for drains and bell siphons I looked at the local hardware store but without knowing the exact piece they cod not help me. Does any one have a parts list or link to specific information?

Members

You need either uniseals or bulkhead fittings, neither of which is usually available in hardware/plumbing shops. You can get uniseals here: http://premiumfishfood.com/uniseals-aff ... ative.html

I have only used bulkhead fittings (purchased on Amazon) because I had not heard of uniseals at the time of purchase. The uniseals are much more cost effective, but I can't give you a review of how they perform. The bulkhead fittings are very easy to work with, and provide a nice, tight seal, but they can get pricey.

Others on the forum probably have experience with the uniseals and can share their experience, or do a search and you should be able to find something here.

I found local stores here to be very expensive when it came to rubber grommets/fittings.
    I searched ebay
    Ecoplus Grommets 3/4" - 25 Pack - irrigation rubber seal ring 3/4 inch (121044090705)
    thehydrosource | 66141 | 99.6%

The 3/4" grommets will allow 1/2" pvc to fit snug without leaks.
    Use a proper hole saw and file the shavings...round the tip of the pvc slightly to allow easier access of the pvc into the grommet
    I have also had to use liquid soap to help lube it but make sure you clean the soap out thoroughly prior to putting anything into the tub...
    ebay is a great source for me here in Hawaii since it seems everything locally is so expensive.
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Here is a quick little up date. I have the large pool started filling. I hope it is Ok to have such on over sized fish tank to start with
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is under your pool/fish tank? insulation? May want to spread evenly before the weight of the water prevents much movement.
    So what did you decide about your GBs??
    looking forward to following the design and build of your system...

Members

I have some old ceiling tiles just to help level it out. I have not finalized what I want to do with the gb's or I should say how and What ways. I want two floating raft beds and 4 flood and drain. Just do not know which one to put first. Also trying to figure the best way to plum all 4 food and drain. Have seen many ways but I like the idea of using a 5 gallon bucket to run the siphons out of. Had any one done this here?

I helped build a small system for the church where the FT is 55 gal drum and overflows to clarifier/filter and then gravity fed to 8 - 5 gallon buckets with red/black cinder (GB). The clarifier is a 27 gallon tote that also feeds floating beds. All drain back to the sump and pumped up to the FT to start cycle again...
    Seems to be working good....plenty of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and basil mmmmm