Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Members

Re: Automation controled aquaponic systems

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ninja
    Just looking at that code, you may want to look into using the avr chips in-built timers.

Da' reason:

using the delay() function actually stops the board from doing anything at all for however long you specify. Timers are literally just that: timers. You start a clock built into the avr chips, and call an interrupt when that hits a certain level.
    You may want to look up arduino timers. The code all looked great.
    Good point. The delay setup is just for controlling the pumps. Once we add complexity, I will change accordingly later. Any thoughts on pros-cons of just using millis() (for those who don't know, it records the time since the device was turned on). I know it resets after a few days, but if I'm just concerned with dt (time differences), would it matter?

I really like the idea of using a Pi, but how well do the two interface? Would you write the code for an arduino sketch or just have it connected to the Pi and write the code through that?

The arduino and the raspberry pi play very well together. There are many examples of this on the net. The arduino is programmed to control the system. The RPi collects the data from the arduino and allows it to be displayed. The RPi is basically a very lightweight linux computer. It has a small amount of digital inputs and outputs that could be used. There are also add on peripherals such as webcams that can be used (live stream of the system).
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Members

I think I'll just use an old laptop rather than the Pi since we have an old one, although I might find it easier to use it. And they're cheap so no harm. Word of advice though for anyone interested in doing Microcontrollers, don't go buy little component kits ( the ones with leds, pushbuttons, resistors....) just find some old Free TV, radio, microwave, just about anything you plug into a wall and you'll find all the little toys you want. You may not find what you need for your app, but it will get you through the learning part.

Thirty-two months and some days later . . .

I hope this project hasn't been dropped. I'm very interested in automating a good sized system now.

I've no experience with the Pi nor the Arduino (is that ar-doo-ee-no or ar-dwee-no?) but I am an app/Web developer and would have little problem powering up in the Linux/Unix arena.

Please post a progress report if any has been had.
    There are three types of people . . .
    those that can count and
    those that cannot

Members
    Old Sarge, I think this site is waiting for a few thousand new members. It appears that there are 4 people here now and we missed the boat for 3 years or so. I guess it is nice that they kept the site open. So they have to start again.