Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Newbie from N. CA

Hi all! I'm new to the world of aquaponics, although I've been gardening for most of my life, and have a pond with goldfish for the past 5 years. I've got 2 IBC totes out back ready to be cut and washed, I've read copious amounts online, and read Sylvia Bernstein's Aquaponic Gardening. I figure I've done enough reading, now the only way to do it is to jump right in and start something up.
    ~~Lori
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Members

Re: Newbie from N. CA

Welcome! I wish you much success and look forward to updates.

I'd recommend reading Oliver's AP 101 threads before jumping in and then posting some of your design ideas/plans for feedback. There are a bunch of helpful folks with a ton of experience that could help you tweak your design and potentially avoid headaches down the road.

I have a low opinion of that book you mention and think that it can lead new folks into trouble.

Welcome....sounds like you already have the AP bug.
    Looking forward to hearing about your ideas and progress..
    What do you have in mind to build?
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Thanks for the info! I've copied the 101 series, and will print it out to be read while I kick back under the ceiling fan with the dogs.
    My plan at this time is to do a bell siphon with grow media, using a sump tank in addition to the fish tank. For now, I'm thinking of putting the system on the patio, more because it seems lots easier than putting up a makeshift greenhouse, although not too sure about when winter comes if I can keep it warm enough. I can make a solar heater to put on the patio roof, so am hoping that will be sufficient. I tend to bite off more than what's reasonable, and thinking if I do the aquaponics from the beginning will be more than enough to keep me challenged, not considering a greenhouse too.
    ~~Lori
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Sounds good.....
    Looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your system.
    You may need a makeshift greenhouse depending on how cold it gets in your area.
    What size Fish tank/grow bed you planning?
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Sounds very interesting. Look forward to irritates and much success! Just don't go with chop2 as recommended in that book. You don't want to send wastes through your pump and then back to the FT.

Welcome Lori. I am also fairly new here and you will find everyone willing to help and give you advice. They like pictures as you go along. Along with Oliver's 101 there is DIY Aquaponics available on the home page. Good luck!
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiemigue
    Just don't go with chop2 as recommended in that book. You don't want to send wastes through your pump and then back to the FT.
    Personally, I do recommend a CHOP 2 design. As I have stated in AP 101, you want to send all of your fish waste through the pump so it can be macerated. This will increase the surface area of the solids and allow for better mineralization by the Heterotrophic bacteria in the water.

Every system we have designed and built, so far, has sent some of the pump's water output back into the fish tank. And, yes, it does contain macerated solid fish waste; but as with other aspects of an AP system it is multi-pass and eventually all of the fish tank water and fish solids will make their way into the grow beds where they will be mineralized, thereby adding extra nutrients to the system water for the plants.

CHOP 2 allows for the better control of the flow to the grow beds and the ability to purge lines to remove any built up solids as well as pressurized water being jetted back into the fish tank to help aerate and move its water around. In addition, it forces all of the water in the fish tank to eventually pass through the pump before going to the grow beds/bio-filters. It also moves the water from the fish tank at a higher velocity allowing for better removal the solids in the bottom of the tank than the slower solid lift of some other designs.

Oliver.
    To measure is to know

And there you go. Different opinions right off the bat. Now you research, read and decide how to proceed. So far as I have seen no one will put you down for your path you decide to take. Both may have valid points but after all it is your system. My first real debate was to worm or not to worm.
    At what point did our government cease to be of the people, by the people, and for the people?

Members

Lol. I recommended Oliver's 101 and then advised against one of his designs unknowingly. It's been a while since I read it myself - maybe time for a reread.

I like the idea of only sending the purest possible water back into the FT to allow for greater stocking densities, but can't argue with much longer tried and true experience.

Good luck with whatever system you decide on big hat.