Members

Hello from New Jersey!

Hello. I'm just getting started with aquaponics and am looking forward to learning the ins and outs; should be getting my greenhouse any day now and can't wait to get started!
    I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing and learning from your experiences.

Members

Re: Hello from New Jersey!

Greetings and welcome fellow Tri-state area aquaponist! Not sure where in Jersey you are, but I'm in Rockland County, NY.

Members

welcome to the addiction

Members

Hello..
    Sorry but I didn't get a chance to set up my profile yet. I'm from Ocean County, NJ.

In the past I've tried traditional gardening only to have everything destroyed by the deer, ground hogs. chipmunks, etc. The deer here actually come up onto my patio and eat any new plants as fast as I plant them!! I decided to spring for a greenhouse to help protect my garden from the critters and started reading about aquaponics -I'm hooked already! I've always loved fish; had a salt water tank, fresh water tank and pond, etc so this is right up my alley!!

My first concern is getting the greenhouse setup. Its in transit now. Any advise on maintaining the greenhouse climate in both summer and winter without breaking the bank? Im thinking of initially getting Koi as they are hardy; eventually would like to try raising tilapia once I can control the climate in the greenhouse.

Any suggestions/tips appreciated!!

Members

Greetings. How about your performance of aquaponics, how everything is going smoothly.
    I think you can use heat pump air conditioner to control the climate in the greenhouse which can save power consumption a lot.

Members

Thanks for your reply. By any chance, have you seen anything about setting up heat pumps to remove humidity from the greenhouse? Its become a real problem now that its getting colder!

Welcome, from what I know about heat pumps...I have one on my house and I think you would be so much better off using a gas force air heater. Over the years I have had both on my home. Gas heat cost less and is a dry heat, in most homes peoples will add moister to confiscate for the dryness.

I would think a small gas heater from a camper or RV should be about the right size. If you already have a circulating fan in the Green House just use a heater from an older camper that doesn't have a fan.

Check out my build on "Pipe Siphon by Apollo" and "Fire Pit ... AP". Good luck and post pictures.