Members

Grub tea from BSFL grubbery into growbeds?

Hi folks - new forum user here. I don't yet have an aquaponics system, but I'm seriously considering it; the idea is fascinating, especially when combined with a BSFL grubbery to make fish food from the system's waste.

So here's my question: I read on the BioPod website that grub tea - the liquid that drips out of a BSFL grubbery - is a high-nitrogen fertiliser. In the interests of making an aquaponics system as "closed-loop" as possible, would it make sense to let the grub tea drip into the water flowing to the hydroponic grow beds? Or does it contain other substances that would make this a bad idea? Very interested in hearing the community's thoughts...

Members

Re: Grub tea from BSFL grubbery into growbeds?

Anyone have any idea on this? Anyone know anyone who might? Anyone know anywhere good to ask around?

I'm surprised that bsfman hasn't posted.

Quote Originally Posted by bythescruff
    would it make sense to let the grub tea drip into the water flowing to the hydroponic grow beds? Or does it contain other substances that would make this a bad idea?
    I'd say 'no'...don't do it. It may become too strong.

BSF are good food for fish. Just remember they are a little high in fat. Your fish will do better with a balanced diet.
    Tilapia are omnivore...they need veggies too. As they become bigger, they need less fat/protien.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    I'm surprised that bsfman hasn't posted.

I'd say 'no'...don't do it. It may become too strong.

BSF are good food for fish. Just remember they are a little high in fat. Your fish will do better with a balanced diet.
    Tilapia are omnivore...they need veggies too. As they become bigger, they need less fat/protien.
    I just hadn't seen the post yet, David!
    But I would agree - don't do it. Your fish will generate plenty enough nitrogen on their own. The BSF juice is usually anaerobic, always smelly, and could be put to better uses. Use it instead for making compost tea or dump it in your compost pile as a nitrogen source where it will also serve to attract additional egg laying mature BSF females which will assist the composting process.

BSF do have fat - it's true. But not necessarily as much as some believe. I had a sample analyzed by the Feed and Water Lab at the University of Georgia. The mature larvae had a 0.71% fat content (3.61% on a dry-matter basis.) Dry matter protein was 49.5%. Phosphorus, calcium, and potassium were also evident in appreciable levels as were various trace elements necessary to your plants. They are an excellent food source for your fish. BSF fed an omega-3 rich diet also have high levels of omega-3, so mine get fed frequently on fish remnants after filleting my salt water catch.

I also agree with David's comment about tilapia needing veggies too. Augment your BSF feed with filamentous algae or duckweed, or even shredded greens and thinned sprouts from your growbeds!

Quote Originally Posted by bsfman
    just hadn't seen the post yet, David!
    I should of thought of that... I thought once you'd see the title of the thread....you'd be on it, like BS flies on a pile of wet sweet horse feed...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Sorry to hijack your post, but, can anyone tell me if BSF will consume cat and dog poo?

Quote Originally Posted by Ike016
    Sorry to hijack your post, but, can anyone tell me if BSF will consume cat and dog poo?
    They most definitely will!

Members

Thanks guys - got there in the end.

Another thread that has left up hanging. So what did you finally do about BSF in your system or how are you using them?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"