Members

Yes....another Newbie

Finally getting the cash together for an Aquaponics setup. Looking at using the IBC's, since I'm not having much luck in finding large plastic or steel containers. My fish of choice will be Talapia, which I'm also having trouble buying in Calif.

Re: Yes....another Newbie

There are only certain types of Tilapia allowed in California, (I think I remember them being Mossies and Horonorum but I'm not positive), so I'd recommend buying from a California dealer. There's fish dealers online that can fix you up with the appropriate fry/fingerlings - 'Tilapia Mama' comes to mind and I'm sure that Oliver and others who live in California can recommend others that might be in your area - just use the PM function to ask if you don't want to ask publically ....... use the DIY search function to find out which types are allowed for sure. I believe Oliver, mommyhen, Badflash, and myself- Jackalope, --- as well as others that my pre-alzheimers can't remember --- have referred to this in past posts If you do find a dealer that is fairly close to you, ask them to allow you to visit their facility - that can tell you a lot about whether they are reputable or not - we had one about 110 miles away that wouldn't allow us to visit becuz they "didn't want our human virus', bacteria, etc. to infect the air where they raised the fish" I didn't recommend them to anyone

Quote Originally Posted by UCDavis
    In California, tilapia may only be cultured in southern portion of the state, unless the Fish and Game Commission grant special permission. We recommend that you check with your CDFG Regional Office to determine what species of tilapia and where they are allowed. Go the California Department of Fish and Game web site and refer to Regional Offices to access your CDFG Regional Office for this information.
    Clik

California Department of Fish and Game Clik
    I use the Linux Operating System ...... Free as in beer!
    You're never too old to learn something
    Aquaponics - food'n'fish at your doorstep

Helena, Montana - Home of the Northernmost Monument to the Confederacy

Just thought of something ---- I've used the cheepie kiddie pools from KMart/Walmart/Target-type stores - available for $10 to $15 as recommended by badflash and they work great for a FT - not necessarily meant for AP, but they work good for that too!

Members

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope
    There are only certain types of Tilapia allowed in California, (I think I remember them being Mossies and Horonorum but I'm not positive), so I'd recommend buying from a California dealer. There's fish dealers online that can fix you up with the appropriate fry/fingerlings - 'Tilapia Mama' comes to mind and I'm sure that Oliver and others who live in California can recommend others that might be in your area - just use the PM function to ask if you don't want to ask publically ....... use the DIY search function to find out which types are allowed for sure. I believe Oliver, mommyhen, Badflash, and myself- Jackalope, --- as well as others that my pre-alzheimers can't remember --- have referred to this in past posts If you do find a dealer that is fairly close to you, ask them to allow you to visit their facility - that can tell you a lot about whether they are reputable or not - we had one about 110 miles away that wouldn't allow us to visit becuz they "didn't want our human virus', bacteria, etc. to infect the air where they raised the fish" I didn't recommend them to anyone

Quote Originally Posted by UCDavis
    In California, tilapia may only be cultured in southern portion of the state, unless the Fish and Game Commission grant special permission. We recommend that you check with your CDFG Regional Office to determine what species of tilapia and where they are allowed. Go the California Department of Fish and Game web site and refer to Regional Offices to access your CDFG Regional Office for this information.
    Clik

California Department of Fish and Game Clik

Thank-You for taking the time to respond...Great info and recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by 1953drtelco
    Thank-You for taking the time to respond...Great info and recommendations
    Not a problem .... we're all here to learn from each other, whether it be sucesses or failures