Thread: LEECHES...!

LEECHES...!

I was asked a question by a local *Aquaponist today and was embarrassed to say, I didn't know the answer. There have been times in the past when I didn't know the answer to a question, however it has not often enough to be concerned with my aging grey matter.

It appears that this *Aquaponist went to a local creek here in Florida which just happens to be rich in aquatic plants like Anacharis for example, and proceeded to gather a tub load and put it into his fish tank for the Tilapia to munch on.

A couple days ago he was harvesting some of the Tilapia and "low and behold" as he put it, he found leeches in his net and when he checked his bio-filter materials, it was loaded with leeches also.

His question now is obviously, "How do I get rid of the leeches without harming the fish or his veggies?"

I had no answer for him. I didn't say you should have asked me sooner and I would have advised against the gathering of wild aquatic plants, it was too late for that.

So, my question to the learned members of this forum, "HOW DO YOU GET RID OF LEECHES IN AN AQUAPONICS SYSTEM WITHOUT HARMING THE FISH OR VEGGIES?"

* Aquaponist:- "an individual dedicated to the study and practice of Aquaponic Technologies"
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Re: LEECHES...!

leech traps..
    liver is a good bate..
    take a tupperware (or takeout soup plastic container), poke some small holes in it,, bait with beef liver, put the lid on and put in the water..the leeches will be able to get into the container but once they "gorge" they won't be able to get out.. change bait daily when you empty the container..
    freeze them to kill them, then feed to your fish..

Keith, I appreciate your immediate answer and will pass it on. I was hoping to hear from more of the members as to possible other ways to accomplish the same thing but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears or individuals who have had no experience with such matters.

Thanks again for you reply.
    JCO
    so never forget

Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    or individuals who have had no experience with such matters.
    Yep
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    Quote Originally Posted by JCO
    or individuals who have had no experience with such matters.
    Yep
    Same here!
    Scott
    Jesup (S.E.), Georgia, USA

Members

I appreciate your immediate answer.

The truth is, you really can't get rid of them all. The above remedies will control the population but it won't cure it. They multiply like crazy, so long as there are viable hosts.

BUT lots of types of fish LOVE to eat them. It's time for your buddy to go and convert to a polyculture for a while until the leeches are gone.
    Many of the bluegill family, or bream as Southerners call them will work. So will many ornamental species.

Otherwise. Break it all down, clean/sterilize and put back together.
    At first I left this blank...but now I believe: "It's better to keep your mouth closed, and have the world think your a fool, than open it and confirm it."

Thanks Foodchain, I was afraid that would be the actual reality of leeches. Beware of gathering vegetation from wild ponds, creeks, rivers & lakes. There are all kinds of other villains in the water besides leeches.
    JCO
    so never forget