Members

Noob from Pennsylvania USA

Hello all! My name is Jim and I'll be using the handle JT Green. I am a noob from Pennsylvania USA. I use that term loosely as I am not a noob to gardening or keeping fish but this will be my first attempt at creating/combining the two in a symbiotic relationship. I have several decades of experience in electrical/electronic engineering as well as in the mechanical and construction fields. I fully intend on building and operating relatively large systems indoors and hopefully eventually in greenhouse(s) with the specific purpose of growing as much of my own food as possible.

I am glad to have found this forum through a Google search for DIY Aquaponics.

I hope to be able to make contributions to the community soon but right now I will be reading as much as I possibly can as I begin to design my own system from the materials I have available to me.

Best regards from PA...........Oh yeah....I love these silly emoticons.............

Jim

Re: Noob from Pennsylvania USA

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum...

I'm originally from W PA, Been in FL about 25 years....no snow here... :P
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thanks David.

I had considered Fla and the south in general for that reason, but I wound up working down there in the rail-yards in July a couple of times. Whoa is all I can say! I'll be trying to make it work in the land of part time ice and snow.

I'm in NW PA now but originally from Beaver County.

Nice to make your acquaintance. I look forward to getting my first AP system going here in 2013.

Yeah, the summers can be a bit much here in FL...

I grew up in Mercer County. I remember getting the snow off of Lake Erie....Brrrr.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

I too am new to the forum and planning to build a system this spring. Saw that you are in NWPA, we are in Conneautville, just outside of Meadville. If you are interested I have a source for food grade IBC totes and plastic drums from my employer. They have given me several to use and I could probably get you some. I saw on another forums map two other people doing AP a couple years ago in meadville, one a student at the college. I have wanted to contact the college to see if anyone there was still doing AP. Also there is a commercial Koi grower about 2 miles from us that is doing AP that I have wanted to visit, but have not taken the time. Here is their site: http://www.hotkoi.com/index.php?p=catal ... t=144&pg=1

kent

Members

Quote Originally Posted by machinemaker
    I too am new to the forum and planning to build a system this spring. Saw that you are in NWPA, we are in Conneautville, just outside of Meadville. If you are interested I have a source for food grade IBC totes and plastic drums from my employer. They have given me several to use and I could probably get you some. I saw on another forums map two other people doing AP a couple years ago in meadville, one a student at the college. I have wanted to contact the college to see if anyone there was still doing AP. Also there is a commercial Koi grower about 2 miles from us that is doing AP that I have wanted to visit, but have not taken the time. Here is their site: http://www.hotkoi.com/index.php?p=catal ... t=144&pg=1

kent
    Wow, great to hear from you. I know right where you are, I used to work in Meadville actually. I'm down in Sharpsville so not very far away at all. I have access to food grade 55 gal blue and white plastic drums from my employer along with 55 gal food grade steel drums (rocket heaters for green house coming soon too) I sense some commonality in the area and there will likely be more as we set the example.

OK...you two are making me home sick..
    Jim, I grew up just a few miles from where you are located...in W Middlesex...

Members

welcome
    i lived out near reading for a few years, me and the mrs used to go up to erie for concerts all the time, we're about 90 minutes from there..
    i'm in northeast ohio, and we've had snow on the ground since the day before christmas.. my ap system is in my basement raising yellow perch and tilapia year round

Welcome to the forum JT. I was went through NW PA in September. Went to my Dad's wedding in Clymer, NY. Just across the line from Erie. Beautiful country there.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!