Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Newbie Chiming In.

Hard to say based on the pics, but I'd say O. mossambica. Doesn't matter for personal use. Wonderful hearty fish. They take well to captivity. If you scale & gut them, you can eat even a 1/2 pound fish by baking and filleting with your fork. It requires only a small cultural re-adjustment.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow

No re-adjustment needed here. Fish is pretty much the only meat I eat. The tilapia in the picture came from a ditch with more than likely a lot of chem-lawn and orange grove runoff. Do you think that any chemicals soaked up by the fish would dissipate after some time? I agree the type doesn’t make any difference as they were free. Right now free is good! But not sexing how much does that slow the growth?
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

I hoped that second pic would help.it was a little more clear on my monitor.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.-- Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
    Simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought~fortune cookie

The 2ND pic is of a male. I would not worry about pesticides. Just keep them in pesticide free water for a few months. When you harvest, stop feeding them for a week. It removes the gamy flavor.

Hand sexing is a good way to get all males. Once they get to breeding age the females waste their energy making babies. They end up thin and small.
    The best fertilizer is the farmer's shadow