Thread: hello from NWPA

Members

hello from NWPA

I am in the design and planning stage of building a greenhouse and AP system. I have been scrounging materials and trying to learn as much as possible. Last year I did a little bartering to help a gardencenter remove all the glass from a greenhouse so that they could replace it with plastic panels in exchange for about 3000 lbs of glass panes. I have been bringing home both food grade empty IBC totes and plastic 55 gal. drums free from my employer. I am considering using a large compost pile, 8' in diameter x 6' tall with a few hundred feet of black plastic tube in the interior to heat the water. I am not sure what type of fish I will be able to raise, but we would prefer tilapia if we can keep the water warm enough in the winter. I am planning to use a couple 75 watt solar panels, 6 VDC batteries for storage to run the pumps. I also will build a 4'x8' solar panel for additional heating and possibly a rocket stove for when the compost is cooling down and when cloudy. I keep finding more information, but realize that I have a lot to learn. There is a large AP business about a mile away that raises koi that I want to visit and I saw a couple year old post on another forum of a student at Alegany College which is in the same town as my employer that I would like to see if I can visit. I would gladly except any help and suggested reading that you might have.
    kent

Re: hello from NWPA

Hi Kent, welcome to the forum...

I from W PA....too cold there for me....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Hey Kent. Welcome, sounds like you have a nice supply of materials at your disposal. It's going to take a lot of insulation and heating to keep Tilapia warm but hey that wouldn't stop me if I was up North either, so it shouldn't stop you!

Welcome and I look forward to reading posts of your builds and experiences.

Members

Hi, welcome to the forum!
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!