Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Hello from Kearney MO

Great looking set up. Welcome to the forum from Kearney, NE.
    Less irritating avatar since 02/27/14.

got any updates?
    Trust God, after all, only He knows what He is doing.

Random Thoughts: There is some truth in every newspaper and magazine, you just need to know where to look....
    For instance: The name, price, date, and page numbers are usually always true!

Members

Sorry for being such a slacker. At times, life takes a set of strange twists and turns that can beat us down or give us opportunities to learn new things about ourselves. I have chosen to learn. At the end of december, I fell down the deck stairs heading out to the greenhouse and destroyed my knee. After surgery to clean up shattered bone and reattach the patellar tendons in my thigh, I have learned that I must be patient and content with the new slower me. Never said learning was easy. With that said, I am well behind where I wanted to be, but I am making progress. Today The permanent power to the greenhouse was turned on. Yeah, no more extension cords running across the yard. I have 12 half barrel grow beds that are plumbed and running, filled with media, but no plants. I am still fine tuning the loop siphons. I have a 4x10 dwc raft table that is working great with a few tomatoes and peppers in there. I have 2 330 gallon conjoined ibc totes buried in the ground as my sump system, and two 330 gallon IBC tote fish tanks. The tanks drain into a radical flow filter barrel, then into a vortex barrel and then back into the sumps. Like I said, I have made progress, but not as fast as I wanted too. A lot of friends want to learn about aquaponics, but when it comes time to dig a 4x8x4 pit to put the sumps in, they are all busy. AP is a passion. A lot of people tell me how easy it is, but they don't have a system they are working on. They see a little on youtube and they are instant experts. Aquaponics will challenge you, and you have to think outside the box many times.

I have included some pics from this spring. I will take some new pictures tomorrow and get those uploaded soon.

God Bless to all,
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry to hear about your fall but ...WOW!!!
    You are doing more in an injured state than most people do all their lives healthy
    Praying for a speedy recovery and looking forward to seeing the progress on your AP addiction.
    Great Job!!!
    Put all excuses aside and remember this: YOU are capable - Zig Ziglar

Members

Thanks. I like to keep busy. I tell my wife it keeps me from chasing women! LOL

Tom you are an absolute inspiration to us all. The world should think as you do. Thank you for gracing this forum and be careful with that leg. No more Spiderman antics.
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"

Members

Sorry to hear about the knee, but wow, I share the sentiments of others - quite the impressive job, and more so b/c of the injury. Beautiful work all around. Please keep us informed - for myself, I will follow your updates with interest.

Members

I know how I like pics, so here are some pics from back in June when I was laying out the sump, fish tanks, media beds, and filters.

Members

Here are pics from today. Media beds are mostly running (need to fine tune a couple), sump, fish tanks, filters and DWC raft table all flowing. Now to start charting water chems, sprouting seeds for fall crops, go trap some native (channel cat and bluegill) fingerlings, etc., etc., etc.. Plan on using fish tank on left (North side) for natives, and right (south side) for Tilapia.

Any questions, comments, and critiques are all welcome. Thanks for looking.

Looking great..how long before we see some veggies?
    JCO
    Irish eyes are always smiling but
    • "In the eyes of the world, you are only as good as your last success"
    so never forget
    • "MAN IS ONLY LIMITED BY HIS IMAGINATION"