Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Hello From NYC!!

Good Evening to all,

I am a newbie to aquaponics. I have been an avid fish keeper since I was a child but have recently been obsessed with aquaponics.
    Here where I live in Staten Island was hit pretty bad by Hurricane Sandy. And I see people struggling to get food and water. I feel so glad that I have stockpiled for a while and have enough resources to get my family through this. This event has made it essential for me to explore this option of feeding my family. It has also convinced dear hubby. Who has agreed to pay for it all, LOL.

I look forward to exchanging and sharing with you.

-Nadeerah

Re: Hello From NYC!!

Greetings Earthling, and welcome to the addiction!

Members

Welcome to the forum!
    http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/s...nder vipar LED
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My System^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Nadeerah , welcome to the forum....
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan

Members

Thanks!

Nadeerah,

word.

i wonder how many episodes of season 2 doomsday preppers is going to reference sandy. cant wait!

brian

Members

Hi from Nova Scotia Nadeerah !!

Luv to see the more Northerly enthusiasts .....aquaponics does, after all, extend our growing season.....
    Wondering if you are doing your aquaponics inside or out ?.......
    I too came by this hobby out of fish keeping for many years......this will give you a 'leg-up'...

I am doing mine outside....& it is seasonal. I use trout, which poses some difficulties with temperature control in mid-season but they are the most obtainable in these parts & my favorite on the plate....

Very interested in hearing about your endeavors !!

Welcome!!

Members

Quote Originally Posted by barbhines2010
    Hi from Nova Scotia Nadeerah !!

Luv to see the more Northerly enthusiasts .....aquaponics does, after all, extend our growing season.....
    Wondering if you are doing your aquaponics inside or out ?.......
    I too came by this hobby out of fish keeping for many years......this will give you a 'leg-up'...

I am doing mine outside....& it is seasonal. I use trout, which poses some difficulties with temperature control in mid-season but they are the most obtainable in these parts & my favorite on the plate....

Very interested in hearing about your endeavors !!

Welcome!!
    Thanks Everyone.

My hubby finished the aquaponics system which is indoors last week. He put in a swirl filter and a sump filter. We went out yesterday and bought 25 2 inch mozambique tilapias from a nearby breeder. I have already plated basil, thyme, cilantro, parsely, cucumber, paris romaine lettuce, and some store bought scallions.I am so excited!!!

Members

I have noticed a lot of chasing and nipping of my fingerlings. Is this normal?

Congrats on the new fish...

I'm no fish expert, there are several others on here that know alot more...
    I use to have fresh water aquariums with just your common things, like swordtails. Tilapia seem much more active then anything I use to have.

I think a couple things are going on...1st, they are setting up a 'pecking order'. 2, they play just like puppies and kittens do. 3rd, you didn't say how big they are '?'...tilapia start breeding quicker then you might think...
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - President Ronald Reagan