Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Members

Re: 18 foot pool above ground pool, thoughts?

just for general information.. I know from personal experience that pool liner "warranties" only apply to seams that they create. not any other parts of the liner. unless specified otherwise
    always allow room to grow, you can always cut it shorter, but cant cut it longer

Quote Originally Posted by swamp creek farms
    are you selling your pee by the gallons now UF? ? ? ? anything to make a buck
    If someone would buy it, heck yea I would!

Quote Originally Posted by rfeiller
    A friend of mine has a high end KOI business buys the 3000 gal set ups with pump from target for $ 200 he said they last about 3years of use before they start to leak. If you looked at targets and compared the ones at Sam's. It might help you. He has a dozen set up as transfer tanks. Of course protect the bottoms. Weeds can puncture them, like oak tree seedlings.
    Excellent I will look into that!

Quote Originally Posted by davidstcldfl
    I always wondered about the above ground pools too. UF...Now that it's getting pretty hot here, heck with the fish....I would most likely end up swimming in it, if I bought one....

I saw some in Aquatic-eco's catalog. They are pretty costly, but they have a 20 year warranty. Maybe you could get one of their liners, when this one started to age (?)
    Ha, I have several 8 foot pools outside right now, and I have been tempted to swim in them on hot days, but the mosquito larvae keep me at bay... LOL, I will have to look into the ones with warranties because I'm sure the liner will degrade sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by cedarswamp
    Could you really use 7000 gallons on a AP system? Thats alot of GB.
    The rules for "ratios" don't quite apply to me. I have my ways!

Quote Originally Posted by keith_r
    that is a lot.. the 8' pool i'm trying out is, i think 696 gallons at the "fill line"
    best use of space will be IBC's cut in half.. still thinking about a sump, probably a 3rd IBC, but no height to work with whatsoever!.. that's my biggest challenge (i have constant "goose-eggs" all over my noggin from working in the basement, i'm a hair shy of 6')
    trying to figure out the tank wall penetration right now, probably go with 1.5"..
    Yep, that sounds about right for the gallons.

In a basement system there are a lot of other options to consider that you probably wouldn't outdoors. Design the plant space around the lights. Some kind of modified NFT comes to mind. Interestingly, the NFT won't have the problem of water being heated outdoors by the sun. This could all work out!

Members

yeah, but nft won't give me the filtration i need/want... but i think at some point i'll have a few nft pipes down there

Members

keith as you get older you will shrink, just be patient.

Members

HA!
    in the meantime i'll develop a hunch

Members

a thin layer of aggregate on the bottom of your raft grow beds will give you plenty of nitrification if that is what you are looking for.

Members

yeah, i was thinking about that, but with the limited space, gravel growbeds as filters would work best for me..
    i'll have to get a drawing together that shows my space..

Members

That is all I use for nitrification for the large vat. Hey anyone set up proteen Skimmers. We use them in Koi ponds. My greenhouse vat has the foaming problem. O ammonia and nitrites, nitrates 80-100. Since I lowered the nitrates I haven't lost any. But I lost 5koi and11 six to eight inch goldfish before the damage was stopped.

Members

well,, the nitrate levels don't really matter, right? just kidding...

i saw a really neat looking protein skimmer that a guy with a koi pond made out of pvc.. i couldn't find a link to it, and can't view many "picture" sites from work, but from what i remember, he just had a 4 or 6" length of pvc with a t in it.. the t was facing up and not covered, some kind of fabric was stuck down into the t part way that diverted a pretty good amount of foam right out of the system.. it had to be a video i saw, i know for sure that i can't get to any youtube stuff from work.. but if i come across it again, i'll send you the info